Monday, September 03, 2012

First Day of School Tomorrow!

It’s the first day of school tomorrow. School, as in, work for me. I love teaching. I love school, actually. I hope you know the difference. I can feel it, can’t verbalize it. I also like the other things that come with teaching. Presenting, collaborating, sharing and sometimes partying.
Well, but right now, I’m thinking of none of those wonderful things. All I am thinking about is the kids. The kids who are being tucked in bed right now, so that they can make it on time tomorrow. Kids who will come tomorrow and be very quiet in anticipation of what is to come, taking their own time to open up. In a few days, it will be hard to tell that it was these same kids. Cannot help thinking about my first day of school as a kid each year. I was always quiet and shy, looking forward to seeing the familiar faces of my friends and some of my teachers. I loved school even as a student.
But, why am I so jittery? I have had butterflies in my stomach every now and then. At 9:00 in the night, my husband decided I should have chocolate and a glass of milk. It tasted yummy! But besides the calories, I don’t think it changed much on the inside of me. I also tried watching a movie to take my mind off it, but it turned out to be about a kid and his school experiences. I had to turn it off. It plunged me straight into work.
Okay, I will try going to sleep and dream about those kids. Have a sound sleep, kids. School is ready for you. And for me too!

No comments: